We love parents. We could go on and on about how awesome you are, how important you are to your kids, and to the Kingdom… but you already know that, don’t you? So how about we just equip you with some stuff.
Tips for Getting Your Teen Connected:
- Make the church a priority in your family schedule. (If your teen doesn’t see YOU making church a priority they are less likely to make it a priority of their own.)
- Make attendance a habit for your teen. (Bringing them consistently will help them develop a good habit of being involved AND it will soon grow to be “just what they do”. There will be no question about whether or not they are going.)
- Serve as a volunteer (not necessarily in Student Ministry, BUT showing them YOUR willing to not just show up and leave gives them more desire to want to not just go to Church but to participate in community.
- Commit to attend a specific Sunday service (Students love to anticipate, so if you tell them “this is the service our family will go to each week” they will anticipate going each week.)
- Take advantage of special events throughout the year. (The reason we have events in the first place is for CONNECTION! Secondary reasons are to provide opportunities for students to have some ‘good, clean, fun’. The more events your teen goes to, the more likely they are to connect with someone they can relate to, which provides them a friend to DO LIFE with!
- Utilize the resources of the Student Ministry Staff. (It’s not only what we do, it’s not only our job, IT’S WHAT WE’RE MADE FOR! It’s the way God wired us up! Take full advantage of that, we are a resource for you. We surely don’t have all the answers but our ministry/job is seeking God to help find the answers to any situations our students are surrounded by.)
- Monitor the group your teen runs with. (It’s a big teller for where they may be headed.) Take back control of the family. (The trend of ‘students running the household’ should be cut off. That’s all I’ll say about that, I might get my self in some trouble on this one! haha, seriously.)
- Come by anytime and observe. You’re always welcome to come see what we do so you can be educated about what your teen is to expect when they come. Your teen may be freaked out that you come and check it out, but nevertheless, you will learn very quickly what we are about and how we do things!
- Ask your teen what they learned at the last camp, event, Wednesday night or Sunday morning and/or any other activity they last took part in…check this page for more tips on parenting your teens. (Engaging conversation about our gatherings show your teen you’re interested in THEIR WORLD. It shows them that you have a concern for what’s going on in their space. This is crucial not just to get them connected to our ministry but to keep them connected TO YOU as the parent.)
What will the service be like?
Our student services consist of three primary components worship, prayer, and the message. Worship is an interactive experience! You will see students singing, raising their hands and connecting with God. We believe that God hears and answers when we talk to him, so we take time to pray for the needs of the body. Our messages last about thirty minutes; we seek to communicate God’s truth in compelling, relevant ways
Your teen can come out early!
Service starts at 6:45 p.m on Wednesday nights, but your teen can come as early as 6:00 p.m to hang out in the EDGE Room
Can I contact you?
You-bet! just click here. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact the church office at 903-872-7473 or call my cell phone.
How long will the service last?
About 60 minutes
Would you like to volunteer?
It’s easy. There are many ways you can give your time and be a part of something incredible at FBC|SM.
First step is to check out our volunteer opportunities listed and fill out the form on this page. After that, its time for a test drive.
Step 2 – Take a test drive
A test drive is an opportunity for you to try volunteering in any area of your choice one time to see what you think. Like it? We’ll help you get connected! Don’t like it? No worries. Try another one! We’re confident you’ll find one you love!